Design Process Flowchart
There are many tools in the permaculture toolkit that aim to assist in structuring design work, however the linear processes may not translate to intensive family designing. I have aimed to summarise my design processes below.
- Move into Brook End (Mum & Ian have lived there one year previous)
- Intensive observation for a full cycle
- Some gardening and general tasks undertaken but no major interventions
- Worked on house and got 'own house in order'
- Surveyed the site & ourselves on multiple levels
- Identified designs within designs to make approach manageable e.g. herb garden, kitchen garden - but maintained awareness of interconnecting elements
- Collated information on the above systems e.g. what characteristics do permaculture kitchen gardens have? Why? Who has already done research in this area so I am not reinventing the wheel. Looked at examples in action. Asked, how are permaculture principles applied?
- Identified unique factors of our systems & analysed the research & information gathered in order to make design decisions
- Made design decisions and present to Mum & Ian for feedback loops
- Look at how these design decisions practically manifest e.g. draw on base map
- Identify next actions to implement the design
- Implement and continuously accept feedback for re-design!